Alternatively, when you select a text box a settings menu will appear.
- Mr Thomas Lindelo Mkaza (Founding President)
- Mr Mojalefa “JJ” Matlole
- Mr Dave Wilken
- The Late Mr Musa Soni
- Mr BB Biyela
- Ms Thoko Mashiane
- Mr Kenny Leluma
- Mr George Seitisho
- Ms Dudu Maseko
- Mr Khayo Mpungose
- Mr Luzuko Mdunyelwa
- Mr Mxolisi Nkosi
- Mr Monde Stratu (Immediate Past President)
The Secretariat supports the general administrative and statutory needs of the institute -
- National Office
- Executive Officer
- Accounting and Treasury
- Conferences and Committees
- Membership Records
Branch Chair: Dr Mpilo Ngubane
Branch Representative: Ms Zanele Mngadi
Branch Chair: Ms Dudu G Maseko
Branch Representative: Ms Mankoe B Makupu
Secretary: Mr Tobela Nota
Branch Chair: Mr Johan Jacobs
Branch Representative: Mr G W Louw
Branch Convener: Mr Mphahlela Selby Lengoabala
Branch Convener: Dr Derrick Ndlovu
Branch Convener: Mr Thembilizwe A Loko
The iLGM aims to be the centre of excellence of local government management in South Africa and Africa.
To promote excellence in local government management through the development and capitation of managers in the sector and through lobbying of stakeholders and advocacy.
Developing and sustaining excellence in local government management
The Institute developed a Five Year (2005 – 2010) Strategic Plan with four (4) Strategic Objectives, namely:
- Develop organisational and institutional capacity of the iLGM;
- Build the institute as a knowledge resource and development practitioner in local government;
- Promote capacity building initiatives aimed at enhancing local government management; and
- Enhance the profile of the organisation amongst its stakeholders through effective communication.
Benefits to Members
The Institute offers the following BENEFITS to its members:
- Personal growth and development
- Networking with colleagues and other stakeholders
- Interactive website with links to other associations such as ICMA, SOLACE, LGMA, SALGA, SOLGM and others
- Opportunity to contribute to transformation of local government
- Enhanced service delivery
- Training and Development
- International Manager Exchange Programmes, Fellowship Programmes and others
- Municipal Manager’s Post Graduate Diploma, University of Kwa-Zulu Natal
- Access to information
- Please click here for the iLGM Constitution
To become a full member, it is required that the applicant must occupy a managerial position in a municipality, municipal entity, provincial department of local government or national Department of Provincial and Local Government and possess a three year post-matric qualification. A full member has full voting rights and can be voted into office.
Any person who is registered for a suitable course at a recognised educational institution. Such a course should be relevant for a managerial or administrative career in local government. The student member has no voting rights but can use the Institute’s facilities and benefit from its training programmes available from time of time.
This membership category is for full members who have rendered exceptional service to the Institute or local governance in general.
Honorary membership is conferred to any person who has rendered exceptional service to the Institute.
This membership caters for persons who are not employed in local government, but comply with the requirements of the institute. It also caters for members of professional institutes or organisations outside South Africa, which promote similar objectives to those of the Institute.
Structures of iLGM
The NEC comprises of the President, the Vice-President, the Immediate Past President and representatives from all the nine provinces. The NEC is responsible for the formulation of the Institute’s policy and its general management.
Presidential Co-ordinating Committee (PCC)
The PCC is made up of the President, Vice President and Immediate Past President. The PCC deals with the day-to-day management of the affairs of the institute.
Provincial Executive Committees (PECs)